Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Deserved Bloodbath

Today I received a Democratic National Committee survey in the mail, asking me to check off various boxes, rank issues on a scale of 1 to 10, etc.  At the end there was a space for comments, and by that time I was pretty well ticked off so I unleashed as much verbal fury as would fit into three lines.  After reading it, I wondered why I was so pissed at Democrats and Obama in particular.  I know that the Republicans are the ones holding up climate change legislation, gay rights, etc.  So why am I pissed at Obama? 

Well, I think it gets down to the guy I thought we were electing and how he has gone about his presidency.  The fierce urgency of now?  Urgency to vote, I guess, but not to get out of Gitmo, end Don't Ask Don't Tell, do something, anything about climate change.  From his inaugural address:
A nation cannot prosper long when it favors only the prosperous.
The success of our economy has always depended not just on the size of our Gross Domestic Product, but on the reach of our prosperity; on our ability to extend opportunity to every willing heart – not out of charity, but because it is the surest route to our common good.

The recession is over for Wall Street, and has been for awhile (and even during the recession, those guys weren't exactly out on the street) but unemployment is hovering at 10%.  He proclaimed himself pleased at the size of the stimulus, even though some really smart folks (Krugman) were screaming bloody murder that it was too small.

The guy's autobiography was entitled the Audacity of Hope.  Name for me one audacious thing Obama has done since taking office. 

I probably won't stay home in November.  But a lot of Democrats will.