Wednesday, December 17, 2008

No comment

Why is it that people don't want to make comments to the press during on-going investigations? I mean, I see why from a political/public relations standpoint, because the more you say the more the story stays alive, even if you have played no major role in said story (e.g. Obama and Blago, which is what got me thinking about this). But all these statements of "I don't want to comment..." seem to have a vaguely legal tone to them, with the implication that if I opened my mouth and talked, there could be negative consequences towards either the investigation or myself. But is that true? At all? Certainly there would be negative consequences if you lied to the press about an on-going investigation -- certainly PR-wise, possibly legally -- but could there be negative consequences to anyone or anything if you told the truth?