Sunday, May 3, 2009

Hopefully wrong

I won't use the word 'beloved' to describe the color commentator for the Red Sox TV broadcast, Jerry Remy, but he's really good at what he does, and every time I have to hear Joe Buck or Tim McCarver or Joe Morgan or any of those other really crappy national guys do a Sox game, I long for the RemDawg.

Which is why I really hope my oncologist colleague is wrong. So Remy missed some time in February with pneumonia, and now he's back on the DL with another flare up. My doctor friend says this is likely to be caused by lung cancer, as back-to-back pneumonia would be extraordinarily rare. Essentially, he thinks there is a tumor blocking some of the small blood vessels, so there's this area where's nothing moving and thus it is easily infected. Remy was (is?) a smoker...

Again, I hope he's wrong.