Thursday, May 7, 2009

Manny being... on drugs

I don't have anything Manny-specific to say about today's story, but rather a general lament about athletes-caught-on-drugs. Why do they have to lie in their 'apologies'? Here's part of Manny's statement:
Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me.

Manny tested positive for a frickin' fertility drug... a drug given to women... to help them get pregnant. Now, maybe Manny is being nuanced to a Clintonian level, in that he perhaps did see a physician, and the medication he was given was not in fact a steroid, and the doctor did think it was okay to give him, in that it wouldn't violate his Hippopatamus Oath to do no harm. So that could all be true if you really parse it. He continues:
Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility.

'Unfortunately' is when you have to sentence an innocent man to death because evidence exonerating him is inadmissable. 'Unfortunately' is not when you did steroids and were caught using a feminine hormone as a masking agent. Further, taking that drug is not 'now my responsibility' because of the policy, it is your responsibility because you f'ing put it in your mouth.

Now, I'm not under any illustion that Manny wrote that statement, and he probably hadn't even seen it before he said it (in fact, did he even speak the words, or was it just released as 'from Manny'?) Regardless of who wrote it, are we supposed to take this apology seriously? All it does is inspire even more cynicism. Just for the novelty of it I'd love to see a player come out and say, yes, I did it, and stop there.