Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I choose not to run!

Mr. Bevilacqua, the gym teacher, was down on the other end. He yells out, "Ready, On your mark, Get set," and I was so keyed up, I just took off. By the time he said go I was ten yards ahead of everybody. By the time the race was over I had won. I was shocked nobody had noticed the head start. And I had won by so much a myth began to grow about my speed. Only Duncan suspected something was amiss. He's hated me ever since. Now he's back. In four years of high school I would never race anyone again. Not even to the end of the block to catch a bus. And so the legend grew. Everyone wanted me to race. They begged me. The track coach called my parents. Pleading. Telling them it was a sin to waste my God-given talent. But I answered him in the same way I answered everyone....I choose not to run!!!
Sensing the opportunity to maybe, possibly, wing-and-a-prayer pull their campaign out of reverse, the McCain camp has said that they won't debate unless Congress passes a bill. I don't get it. We've had debates when we've been at war for goodness sake. McCain can't do whatever he needs to do during the week and then take 2 hours out of his life on Friday night to talk to America about what's going on? I don't get it. I certainly don't get it from an actual leadership perspective, but I really don't get it from a winning-elections perspective. Whom does this appeal to?

Let's also note that the plan the McCain camp floated involved pushing back the debate to the date currently scheduled for the VP debate, and moving the VP debate to... um, yeah, we'll get back to you on that. Palin has again looked lost in her interview with Katie Couric, and I think they're scared to death of her getting more TV time (note how she hasn't had a single press conference since being named VP!!!)

As a service to you, I am actually watching Fox News right now, because I honestly have no idea how they'll spin this. First up, Karl Rove on O'Reilly:
Obama might still raise taxes!
Postponing the debate is "risky" notes that Senate isn't in session Friday night.
O'Reilly predicts that McCain will go to DC tomorrow, stick his mouth in things, claim credit for whatever happens, then will debate -- Rove agrees.
[note: Rove looks like hell; good god, watching this is hell]
Oh frack, Dick Morris is next... looks like no more discussion of McCain ducking the debate... I gotta change the channel. Maybe if I were drunk I could watch this longer. But I doubt it. Dick Morris is now saying that McCain should take credit for the bailout... the bailout hasn't happened yet! Oh god, shoot me.