Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The meaning of words

Someone should explain to Rob Neyer what 'quantitative' and 'qualitative' mean:
Is Martinez the most impressive hitter in this group? Clearly, he is not. He's third in hits and times on base, and fourth in home runs, runs scored and RBIs. Quantitatively, he's nothing special. Qualitatively, though? That's where Edgar shines. His .418 career on-base percentage is second-best, just a hair behind Thomas. And his .515 slugging percentage trails only Thomas and Ortiz (and, of course, Ortiz's decline phase is still ahead of him). I don't have any qualms about describing Martinez as the second-greatest DH in American League history.


For the record, I would like to know who Neyer thinks is the greatest DH in AL history -- I've re-read the column and I still have no idea, nor does his list of possibilities have an obvious #1. For the record, I don't think Edgar is a Hall of Famer.